Safe Steps is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring that your personal information remains secure. We are required to comply with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 and other relevant state laws.
1. For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information so you can register and volunteer to work with us.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
As part of the registration process for becoming a volunteer, we ask you to answer mostly non mandatory questions on a form.
3. What personal information is collected?
Personal information collected may include the following.
- Contact details such as:
- your name;
- date of birth;
- mobile phone number, home, postal and email address.
- Gender identity.
- Health information.
- Reasons for volunteering.
If you choose to provide us with sensitive information about your health, you consent to us collecting, using and disclosing that information to carry out our functions unless you tell us otherwise.
2. Who is your personal information disclosed to?
- disclosure is necessary to prevent injury to life or health;
- to investigate any suspected unlawful activity; or
- where the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order (including by an enforcement body).
We will never sell your personal information to other parties.
In addition, your personal information may be provided to third parties where services relating to the purpose for which the personal information is collected are outsourced. For example, we may disclose your personal information to our:
- third-party service providers and contractors in connection with the services we provide to you (for example, IT service providers and marketing service providers); and
- professional advisors (for example, accountants, auditors and lawyers).
We only disclose your health information for the purposes for which you gave it to us or for a directly related purpose you would reasonably expect or agree to.
5. Security of personal information
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information you provide remains secure by ensuring paper and electronic files are only accessible by people with a genuine need.
6. Where can you get more information about our privacy practices?
7. Changes to this Privacy Collection Statement
This Privacy Collection Statement may change from time to time. Any updated versions will be posted on our website and will be effective from the date of posting.
This Privacy Collection Statement was last reviewed and updated on 28 February 2023.
8. Who are we?
In this Privacy Collection Statement, references to “Safe Steps”, “we”, “our” or “us” are references to Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre Inc (ABN 86 138 521 643).
9. How to contact us
Attention: The Privacy Officer, Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre
GPO Box 4396
Melbourne VIC 3001