Safe Steps is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring that your personal information remains secure. We are required to comply with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 and other relevant state laws.
This Recruitment Privacy Collection Statement provides you with some important information about our collection of personal information that you provide as part of your application to work with us as an employee or contractor.
1. For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information so you can apply to work with us.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
We collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for us to evaluate your application.
We may collect personal information at different times during the application process. For example, from your initial application, at interview, and when checking references.
If you choose to provide us with sensitive information about your health, you consent to us collecting and disclosing that information to carry out our functions unless you tell us otherwise.
In most cases, we collect personal information directly from you, including any sensitive information you choose to provide to us, such as information about your health.
We may also collect information about you from third parties, such as your nominated referees or the organisations they represent, and our criminal records check provider. Referees may provide us with information about you on a confidential basis. If they do, you are not entitled to access this information, and we will not share it with you without the referee’s consent.
We may hold your information physically or in electronic databases and information systems. We take steps to protect your information from interference or unauthorised access or disclosure. Ordinarily, this personal information would be contained in an electronic employee file and/ or a recruitment file and/or email folder, accessible by our HR team.
3. What personal information is collected?
Personal information collected may include the following.
- Contact details such as:
- your name;
- date of birth;
- mobile phone number, home, postal and email address.
- Professional details (e.g., previous employer or business name, job title/occupation, previous employment information).
- Medical history (e.g., vaccination status or any allergies or other conditions that help us ensure you are safe at work).
- Financial information (e.g., Tax File Number, bank details and superannuation details).
4. Who is your personal information disclosed to?
The third parties that we may wish to disclose your personal information to include:
- your referees (or the organisations they represent);
- our criminal records check supplier;
- our psychometric testing provider;
- our online meetings provider; and
- recruitment agencies or other third parties assisting us with recruitment for the position you are applying for.
- disclosure is necessary to prevent injury to life or health;
- to investigate any suspected unlawful activity; or
- where the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order (including by an enforcement body).
We will never sell your personal information to other parties.
In addition, your personal information may be provided to third parties where services relating to the purpose for which the personal information is collected are outsourced. For example, we may disclose your personal information to our:
- third-party service providers and contractors in connection with the services we provide to you (for example, payroll provider, IT service providers and marketing service providers); and
- professional advisors (for example, accountants, auditors and lawyers).
5. Security of personal information
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information you provide remains secure, by ensuring paper and electronic files are only accessible by people with a genuine need.
6. Where can you get more information about our privacy practices?
7. Changes to this Privacy Collection Statement
This Privacy Collection Statement may change from time to time. Any updated versions will be posted on our website and will be effective from the date of posting.
This Privacy Collection Statement was last reviewed and updated on 28 February 2023.
8. Who are we?
In this Privacy Collection Statement, references to “Safe Steps”, “we”, “our” or “us” are references to Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre Inc (ABN 86 138 521 643).
9. How to contact us
Attention: The Privacy Officer, Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre
GPO Box 4396
Melbourne VIC 3001