This website has a purple “quick exit” button in case you need to leave this site quickly. Clicking it will take you away from the safe steps website and send you to Google. It is important to know that after you press this button, someone can easily press the “back” button to see that you were on this site. To stop this happening, remember to close the browser window when you are done with it.
Please note: We recommend that you always use a private browser or incognito window when accessing this website. This never saves your browsing history. If you are accessing this website without using a private browser (or you have in the past), you can follow the guide below on how to clear your cache to keep your search and browsing history private.
- Find out more about technology-facilitated abuse here.
- Read tips from esafety about staying safe online while living with an abusive partner.
How to clear the cache in Microsoft Edge
To empty the cache you can follow one of the instructions below:
1. Clear browser data in Microsoft Edge with the keyboard shortcut.
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del].
- A new Window opens. Select the option “temporary services and files”.
- Confirm your selection by clicking on the “delete” button.
2. Delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu.
To delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Hub” symbol in the main menu.
- Then browse to the “History”.
- Now you can click on “Delete the whole History”.
- Check the option “temporary services and files” and confirm the selection with a click on the “Delete” Button.
How to clear the cache in Opera
To delete the cache from the Opera browser, you can follow one of the following instructions.
1. Delete the cache: The fast way with a shortcut.
Similar to other browsers you can delete the cache with a keyboard-shortcut. The following instruction shows how to do it step by step.
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [del] on your Keyboard. A new window opens, where you can setup the options to delete the cache.
- Select the period “since installation”, to empty the whole browser cache.
- Check the Option “Images and Files in Cache”.
- Confirm your settings, by clicking the button “delete browser data”.
- Refresh the page.
2. Access the browser cache options through the menu
- In the title bar of the browser window click on the “Opera” or on the “Menu” button.
- In the following menu “Settings” chose the item “Data and Security”.
- Below the Headline “Privacy” you’ll find the button “Delete Browser data”.
- After clicking that button a new window opens.
- Select the time period “since Installation” to delete the whole browser cache.
- Enable the checkbox next to “Images and Files in Cache”.
- Confirm your settings with the Button “Delete Browserdata“.
- Reload the website.
How to clear the cache in Internet Explorer 11
1. Clear the cache with a keyboard shortcut
- Press the [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del] Key together. A Popup-Window opens. “Delete browser history”.
- Remove all checks except the selection “Temporary Internet files and website files”.
- Click on the Button “Delete” to empty the browser cache. In comparsion to other browsers there is no option to select the time period. You’ll delete all cache data.
- Reload the page.
2. Delete the cache through the internet options in the window menu of the browser.
Alternatively you can access the options also through the main menu of your browser.
- Click on the cog-symbol in the upper right corner of the browser and open the menu “Extras”.
- Select the item “Internet options”.
- In the tab “General” you can find a section “Browser history“. When you click on the button “Delete” a new Window opens.
- Now you are on the same page as in the description above.
- Follow the steps from Step 2.
How to clear the cache in Mozilla Firefox
1. Fast delete with the keyboard shortcut
For deleting the browser cache with a shortcut in Firefox please follow these steps:
- Press following keys at once: [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. A Popup opens with the title “Clear recent history”.
- In the dropdown menu, you can define the time range you want to delete the cache. You have the following options: last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today or all.
- To delete all data, select “All” from the dropdown-menu…
- Afterwards, click on the arrow next to “Details” and toggle the different possibilities to chose which data should be deleted. If you want to delete only the cache, then only mark the checkbox next to “Cache”.
- With a click on the button “clear now” you delete the cache.
- Reload the site afterwards
2. Delete the cache with the window option in Firefox
Alternatively you can also clear the cache also through the window-menu. Please follow these steps:
- Press the key “Alt” on your keyboard. The window menu from firefox opens.
- In the menu, “chronic” select “delete lastest chronic”
- Now the Popup-Window opens like described in the instructions above.
- Follow the steps above from the second step.
How to clear the cache in Google Chrome
1. Delete the browser cache with a shortcut.
The fastest way to get rid of the cache data in Google Chrome is the option “Clear Browser cache”. You can access this function with the following shortcut:
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. Be sure you press all the keys at once.
- A new window opens: “Clear Browser cache”.
- Here you can select in the upper dropdown-menu, for which time period you want to delete the cache data. You can select between “last hour”, “last day”, “last week”, “last four weeks” or “all”.
- If you want to delete all cache date, select “all”.
- Check the box in front of “Images and Files in Cache”.
- Submit your selection by clicking the “Delete Browser data” Button.
- Reload your site.
2. Clear browser cache manually
If you don’t want to use the keyboard shortcut to call the function “Clear Browser data” you can access it manually:
- Click on the “Menu” in the upper right corner of Google Chrome and Open the Browser setting. You can recognise the menu by the three stacked dots.
- Next, you select the option “more tools”.
- In the next step click on “Delete Browser data”.
- Now you can follow the steps from the description above and select the specific time period (Step 3).